Independent Health and the Buffalo Bills Launch New Health and Wellness Initiative
The Buffalo Bills and Independent Health have launched "The Independent Health and Buffalo Bills Health & Wellness Challenge," a newly-created, community-wide health and wellness initiative.
The Health & Wellness Challenge is designed to engage the community in a fun, interactive competition that improves nutrition and fitness habits as well as overall health. The goal of the six-week program, running from October 6 through November 16, is to motivate participants to get healthier by meeting weekly goals and completing daily challenges for points to win fantastic prizes. Participants can earn points by meeting three main weekly goals:
1. Exercise three times per week for at least 30 minutes
2. Eat five servings of fruits and vegetables every day
3. Drink eight glasses of water each day
They can also gain extra points by completing one daily challenge. Each challenge integrates health tips to help them learn about fitness and nutrition to stay healthy even after the challenge is completed. Participants will keep track of their progress at buffalobills.com/thechallenge. Plus, they will receive daily e-mails as a reminder to log-in and learn about that day's challenge.
In addition to achieving a healthier lifestyle, competitors have a shot at turning their exercise and nutrition points into prizes - including two tickets to Super Bowl XLIX, on February 1, 2015, at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz., plus airfare and accommodations. One qualifying winner will be selected at random each week to receive a prize, including autographed Bills memorabilia from Fred Jackson, C.J. Spiller, Mario Williams, EJ Manuel and Sammy Watkins, as well as two pregame on-field passes and tickets to the Buffalo Bills vs. Green Bay Packers game on December 14 at Ralph Wilson Stadium.
The number of points earned throughout the Health & Wellness Challenge will determine the number of chances participants have in the weekly and grand prize drawing. Competitors must be at least 18 years of age to win. Complete rules and prize details are also available at buffalobills.com/thechallenge.
In addition to announcing the Health & Wellness Challenge, Independent Health and the Bills also introduced a 16-member team of all-star health care, civic and not-for-profit leaders who will serve as advisors for the Challenge. The Advisory Board includes the Amherst Chamber's own Colleen DiPirro.
Along with Colleen, the Advisory Board includes:
- Anthony Billittier, M.D., Dean of the School of Health Professionals at D'Youville College
- Marylou Borowiak, President and CEO, Food Bank of WNY
- Gale Burstein, M.D., Erie County Commissioner of Health
- Buddy Campbell, President and CEO, YMCA
- Mary K. Comtois, Health Platform Program Director, United Way of Buffalo & Erie County
- Kevin Donovan, Interim Executive Director, P2 Collaborative of Western New York
- Kathy Egan, President, Biggest Loser Resort Niagara
- Matt Enstice, President and CEO, Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus
- Ellen Grant, Ph.D., LCSW-R., Deputy Mayor, City of Buffalo
- Phil Haberstro, Executive Director, The Wellness Institute of Greater Buffalo
- Thomas Herrera-Mishler, President and CEO, Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy
- Mark Mortenson, President and CEO, Buffalo Museum of Science
- Jean McKeown, Vice President of Community Impact, Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo
- Alexandra Murello, Executive Director, American Diabetes Association
- Liz Zulawski, Executive Director, American Heart and Stroke Association
Independent Health is excited to work with the Buffalo Bills in promoting health and wellness in Western New York and looks forward to working with the Advisory Panel members throughout the year.