MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT
By the time you read this, the kids will be back in school, the Buffalo Bills will have WON their first game of the season and the leaves on the trees will be ready to turn. One thing remains consistent however, is the commitment the Amherst Chamber of Commerce has to our members.
A recent listing in Business First named us the largest Chamber in Western New York. The reason for this ranking is because of our dedication to member services and our responsiveness to the business community. We have refined our processes and developed a regional niche.
Currently, we have businesses located in 110 zip codes as members. Our strategy encompasses regional leadership, balanced by a broad assortment of business services and this has resonated with the public. We don't have sales people on staff, but our brand is so strong that membership continues to grow.
Are you utilizing your membership and receiving a return on your investment? Just in case, here is a small list of our services:
- ProNets - 4 different industry exclusive networking groups that meet twice a month
- Business After Hours - complimentary networking event the 3rd Tuesday every month
Health Insurance - we are the ONLY Chamber that can provide you with your choice of BC/BS, Independent Health or Univera plans for small group and individuals. We don't charge an enrollment fee and have dozens of plan choices. We have three licensed brokers on staff to service our members and their employees.
We will be hosting weekly informational sessions for Open enrollment, beginning in October.
Special Events - we provide varied special events targeted to diverse audiences. An example of events in the forth quarter are:
- UB Football - Networking Tent Party, Concert and UB vs. Baylor Football Game. Click here to get your ticket!
- Crazy Jake's Business After Hours
- Business of the Year Dinner with Governor Cuomo as invited guest on October 27th at Salvatore's. Details coming soon!
- Tools for Prosperity-monthly workshops featuring the highest level of presenters
- Emerging Business Leaders-monthly events for young professionals, including our upcoming Food For Thought program with guest John Koelmel of HARBORCENTER.
- Toastmasters-our own chapter for Chamber members
- The Buffalo Bills/Independent Health Challenge - an opportunity for our members and their employees to participate in this healthy lifestyles promotion and be eligible for prizes including an all expense paid trip to the Super Bowl
This is just a small sampling of what the Amherst Chamber of Commerce offers.
We are deeply involved in Economic Development and the Governors Regional Economic Development Council and recently finished scoring projects for funding consideration. We meet regularly with our public officials, most recently hosting an EBL meeting with Congressman Brian Higgins. Developers and business leaders reach out to us for assistance with projects and last week we worked with Supervisor Barry Weinstein and Councilmember Guy Marlette. NYS Assemblyman Ray Walters hosted a Women in Business meeting in our conference room last week in preparation for his Woman's Forum in September. NYS Senator Mike Ranzenhofer and I had lunch last month to discuss the closing days of the Legislature and catch up on issues on deck for the next session.
I could keep on, but I think you get the picture. Please Like our Facebook page, Amherst Chamber of Commerce, Follow us on Twitter @Amherst_Chamber, or visit our website, www.amherst.org to keep abreast of our activities.
If by chance you don't see something that you would like us to offer, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is your Chamber of Commerce and we exist to serve you!